General Non-Fiction posted May 9, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Where Happiness Lies

A Year On The Edge

by Carlos' girl

The year I lost everything: it was, oddly, the best time of my life. I had survived Stage 4 cancer, lost my career, my apartment, my significant other, my life savings, even my beloved cat. And somehow, I never felt more free. It was as if I had a fresh new start. I swear I heard someone say : "Roll The Dice". I was 44 years old and starting over.
 
I packed a suitcase with my clothes and left the hospital. All my earthly possessions were in that suitcase. Then I headed for Harlem. I had never set foot in that part of town, but I was going there to live today. All the arrangements had been made. I felt nervous and excited all at once. It is seldom that we face a brand new life so dramatically. It is a rare occasion indeed. But this year, at age 44, would be the best time of my life.
 
I remember waking up each morning with childlike exuberance. It was all so new and unknown. As Bob Dylan said in his song "Shelter From The Storm" : Everything up to that point had been left unresolved.
 
I had a whole new life that year.  And oh, what a time it was. It was the time of my life.
 



The time of my life: writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story. The topic is: The best time you ever had in your life. It can be as an adult or as a child. Please keep it clean. Minimum length 100 words. Maximum Length 4,000 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Carlos' girl All rights reserved.
Carlos' girl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.