General Non-Fiction posted May 8, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Odd Superstitions for the Nonfiction Club

Absolutely No Bananas Allowed

by June Sargent


For centuries the banana has been blamed by sailors and fisherman for bringing bad luck. Even in this day and age, bananas are often banned from seagoing vessels.

In the swashbuckling days of the 18th century, shipwrecks were often found with bananas floating in the water - near the corpses. That immediately earned the banana the label of being cursed.

As a tropical fruit, bananas often carried stowaways like spiders and snakes. When bitten, sailors would blame the accursed fruit.

And, when voyages took too long and the bananas began to rot - other fruit would begin to rot as well, due to the release of ethylene gas.  And if fisherman get some of this gas onto their hands, it has been known to repel fish. 

When those who imbibed too much sweet rum slipped on a banana peel, it was the curse once again.

Today, many operators of fishing and tour vessels ban not only bananas, but also banana bread and muffins, Banana Republic Clothing, Banana Boat Sunscreen, and Fruit of the Loom underwear. Although the logo technically does not include a banana, from a distance it does look like one is hiding in the background.

So, if you're planning on a seafaring adventure in the future, make sure you don't get stopped by the Banana Police. I was fortunate enough to evade detection when I packed Banana Boat Sunscreen - not once, but twice!
 



Club entry for the "Odd Superstitions" event in "Flash Fiction/Nonfiction".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.