General Script posted May 9, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a script

Lathe of Heavn

by Bill Schott


Characters

Ann O. = movie watcher

Jan O.  = film critic

Ian O. = school skipper

The scene opens with three people sitting in movie seats facing downstage just after watching a vintage movie.

Ann O.:  This seat is similar to where I sat before. It is both unimpressive and unforgettable. 

Jan O. :  You know, this version of The Lathe of Heaven was almost a word for word conversion of Ursula K. LeGuin's book.

Ian O.: Its view of societal failings seems a bit outdated for our more sophisticated times. 

Jan O. :  That's an interesting observation, Ian. Shouldn't you be in school?

Ian O.: That is an interesting question, Mrs, O.

Jan  O. :  It's Miss O., young man. Why are you here and not in a classroom? 

Ian O. :  This viewing of the 1980 Public Broadcasting Service's production of the famous science fiction author's 1971 serialized magazine story is not available there. 

Ann O. :  (interrupting) May I say something?

Jan O. :  Has it anything to do with this film -- or truancy?

Ann O.:  Sort of -- I heard they have Fruity Good-N-Plenty at the concession stand. 

Jan O. : What has that to do with either the film or truancy?

Ann O.:  I am broadening the subject. 

Ian O.:  You know, A&E remade this movie in 2002 with a much higher budget. However, the theme had been updated past the seventies' concerns of overpopulation, race discrimination, global war, and drug use.  

Ann O.:  Don't forget the aliens.

Jan O. : The aliens were eliminated. 

Ian O.: I thought they were the best part. Gentle Taoist giant turtle-people quoting the philosopher Chung Tzu. 

Ann O.:  Did we fear illegal aliens in the Seventies?

Jan O. :  No, the giant turtle-people. 

Ian O.: I could never be afraid of a turtle. 

Ann O.:  Why did they eliminate the aliens. 

Jan O. : The script was updated to eliminate the fear of "invaders", since the Soviet Union fell.

Ian O.: What's the Soviet Union? 

Ann O.:  We call them Russia now. 

Ian O.:  So -- they fell?

Ann O.:  This isn't your first day off the chain is it, boy?

Jan O. :  You HAVE heard of Communism -- right?

Ian O.: Is that with the wine and bread?

Ann O.:  Wrong pew, Junior.

Jan O. :  As far as the film is concerned, George Orr discovered that his dreams become reality, but only he knows it. 

Ian O.: So, this whole deal of us watching a movie could have been my dream. 

Ann O.:  Exactly!

Jan O. :  Pathetic!  

Ian O.: This must be somebody else's dream.

Ann O.:  Yes, it would have been George Orr's dream.

Jan O. :  JorJor, JorJor. That's a funny name. 

Ian O.: So George ended up dreaming a perfect world?

Ann O.:  Yes. He got the girl; the aliens were friendly business owners; and the bad guy was eliminated.  

Jan O. :  He actually saved the world, as he dreamed away the devastation of World War III as the story began. 

Ian O.: Imagine that -- a world war.

Ann O.:  We actually have already had two world wars. 

Ian O.:  Who dreamed those away?

Ann O.:  I will need to talk to the history teacher at your school.

Ian O.:  Who's that?

To be continued... 





Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.