General Fiction posted April 30, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The problem and advantage of having an odd name..

Call Me Ishmael

by HarryT


She called me Ishmael. It is a hell-of-a moniker to slap on a kid. Believe it or not, my mother, an avid reader of the classics, was reading Herman Melville’s Moby Dick when her water broke and she went into labor with me. I guess she decided it would be a great remembrance of the occasion when she named me after the narrator of the story. As I grew, I learned Ishmael was a perceptive and philosophical character. As a young man, I wondered if his characteristics were passed on to me because my mother was reading about him while she was pregnant. I know it seems implausible, but who knows? I have read that babies in the womb have shown increased brain activity when exposed to music. Why not reading?

Anyway, my life as a kid and even into my teen years was not easy having such an odd name. I wonder if parents ever think about the ramifications a child can suffer when given a name that is out of the ordinary. Well, let me tell you, from personal experience, Ishmael was not an easy name to live with. As you might guess, I was quickly referred to as Ishie-Fishy on the block and later in school. However, as I matured, I got used to having an unusual name. I even liked it because it made me memorable. Rarely was I or my name forgotten by friends or even distant acquaintances. Everyone remembered me. So though my younger years were sometime rough, in my later years I came to value the name my mother gave me. And I am pleased that she called me Ishmael.




First Line Flash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Choose a first line from a famous novel, and continue on with a story of your own. (Google will quickly give you a listing of first lines, if needed). List the novel in the notes.
No poetry
Any genre
300 words approx. limit



Ex: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, and I had a flat tire at rush hour...
(A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.