Family Fiction posted April 21, 2024 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Lester and Heddy take the letter to Artie

A chapter in the book Saltwater Ghosts

Word From Home

by GWHARGIS



Background
Eleven-year-old Heddy can communicate with her deceased grandmother, Nonni.
So far, Heddy has discovered a German man living on the island and she has met a new friend named Lester. Her family has finally gotten word that her brother, Willis will be coming home within the week. Lester finds a letter that his aunt has hidden and thinks it belongs to the German.

************************************************************************************************

Lester doesn't bother to drop my hand when we get to the high dune that leads to Dr. Monroe's house. I don't really want Artie to see us holding hands on account of he just might tease me. I hate being teased. I wriggle my hands free and get a running start up the hill. Lester follows.

"Mr. Artie." I call out. The yard is empty. But I see the soft gray plume of smoke coming from the chimney. It's hot outside and I wonder why he has the fireplace going. We venture around to the front of the house. It's smaller than the house I live in. Just a shack really. My daddy said that Dr. Monroe used to live on the mainland in a real fancy house, but after he quit doctoring he sold it. He decided to live in a shack. My daddy said Dr. Monroe liked his solitude.

"Doesn't look like he's here," Lester says, hanging back just far enough to let me know he's scared.

"Where else is he gonna go, Lester?" I say impatiently. "He's hiding."

I step up to the front door and knock twice. "Mr. Artie, it's me, Heddy. We got something that might belong to you."

A few seconds go by before the door opens. Artie peeks through the crack in the door. "What do you want?"

"A polite person would say hello," I say. "My friend, Lester, he works at the post office with his aunt and he thinks he might have found a letter that belongs to you." I look back at Lester and motion for him to come closer.

Artie opens the door slightly more, just enough to get a better look at Lester. "Why do you think it belongs to me?"

Lester swallows before answering. "It's addressed to A. Furlein. That's a German name, right?"

Artie's face relaxes and he steps out onto the wooden porch. He finally smiles. "How did you come about to have this letter in your possession?"

Lester looks at the ground then looks at me. "I think my aunt hid it. She does things like that."

"Your aunt is the retched woman with the dirty hair that works at the post office?"

Lester nods. "Yes, sir."

Artie nods and holds out his hand. "Let's see if you are right and this does belong to me."

Lester pulls the crumpled letter out of his pocket and places it in Artie's outstretched hand.

I watch as Artie looks at the envelope. He presses his lips together and his eyes are sparkling and wet when he finally looks at us. "It's from my mother. How long has your aunt had this?"

Lester shrugs. "She said you ran away from the island. Said people let you know you weren't welcome here."

Artie nods. "Yes, a rock thrown through your window is a definite sign. Thank you for bringing me this. I have had no contact with my family in months. I can only pray they are alright."

"Are you gonna open it?" I ask. I'm wondering what the letter says and hope he will tell us like my mother does when she gets a letter from Aunt Lana.

Artie sits on the wooden bench at the edge of the porch and motions for us to join him. He clears his throat, and after ripping the envelope, pulling the letter out, he begins to read. "My dear Arthur, I hope you are doing well. I miss you and hate to write with bad news. Your uncle Fritz was killed in France last month. Marta and the children have come to live with us. Your brother Herbert, has been inducted and left for service almost three weeks ago. Just before his seventeenth birthday. I pray for his safety every moment of every day, just as I pray for yours. Please let me know you are doing well. As of now, I am still getting things somewhat regularly. Pray for your brother, Arthur. Pray for this nonsense to end. I love you and miss you. Mother."

For a moment, all we can hear is the crashing of the waves on the shore. No one says anything. Artie stares off into space, his eyes seeing something that neither Lester nor I can see. I'll bet its his mother's face and his brother's. For a short time he is there with them, hugging and being happy. Momma does that sometimes when she talks about Willis. She pretends he's right there.

Artie stands and walks to Lester. "Thank you, Lester, for bringing this letter to me. It took bravery to do that. I know you have your doubts about me, but I am a son and a brother, nothing more. I am no spy."

Lester extends his hand. "I believe you. I'm sorry my aunt kept the letter from you."

Artie shakes Lester's hand and looks at me. "I think I would like to be alone now. Go enjoy your day."

Before he can get to the door, I run up and wrap my arms around his waist. "I'll pray for your brother, okay, Artie? I'll pray that he comes home just like Willis is."

Artie smiles. "Thank you, Heddy. That would be nice. Maybe with all these prayers, God will stop this war."

We walk back to the dunes and Lester stops. He sticks his hand out and grazes the sea oats as they bob and dance in the breeze coming off the ocean. "We're kind of lucky to be here, aren't we, Heddy?"

"We're safe in America. Nobody is crazy enough to try to come here. Not even stupid Hitler."

Lester shakes his head. "No, I mean here. This island is magical. Every day the beach gets scrubbed clean by the ocean. It doesn't matter what kind of mood she's in. There isn't any other place like that. I'm gonna miss it something terrible when I go home at the end of summer."

Something hurts in me when he says that. I'm not sure why, but it does.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.