Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 27, 2024 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Weir family grows by one.

A chapter in the book At Home in Mississippi

Making a Grand Entrance

by BethShelby


In mid-August of 1937, Annie Jane, Lucille’s mother moved in with the Weir family, planning on easing things during the time of her daughter’s delivery. Glover was uncomfortable with her presence, feeling he wasn’t free to be himself. He’d never lived with anyone else in the house other than his own family and Lucille. He would try to be on his best behavior. He would treat her with respect and try to curb his tendency to erupt with swear words when something aggravated him. On the other hand, he was relieved to realize that he wouldn’t be alone with a wife who might be in pain, and possibly, a crying baby, as well.
 
Lucille's mid-section was expanding rapidly. The summer temperatures in Mississippi made her feel like she was melting. Still, she continued to get out in the early morning and pick the vegetables that would need to be canned. Her mother helped with shelling the peas and beans and with processing food.
 
September arrived, and the baby was due any day. It became apparent this child was likely to make a late entrance into the world. The doctor had only made an educated guess as to its time of arrival in the first place. It was early morning of the tenth day of the month, when the light cramps Lucille had felt earlier, became much stronger. She cried out with their intensity and told her mother she believed she was in labor. Glover had already left for work. Thinking she might have the baby very soon; she told her mother someone needed to go to Glover’s work so he could alert the doctor and come home himself.
 
“Lucille, I know it hurts, and you don’t know what to expect, but I’ve been there four times”, her mother said. “This is your first baby, and it probably won’t be here for hours. It may not even get here today. We have to time those pains. They will get really close together, later. You can lie down, and we’ll see to it someone can go to Glover’s work and tell him. He can let the doctor know you’ll be needing him.”
 
“Mama, it isn’t hurting all the time, it comes in waves, but when the pain starts, it’s brutal. You know how much I used to suffer when I had a period. The best part of being pregnant is that I haven’t had that pain in nine months. This is much worse than that, and I always had to take a strong BC powder to ease those cramps. Can I take something to ease the pain?”
 
“No, you shouldn’t take anything. It could slow down the labor and could hurt the baby. Just grab on to something and hold on tight until the pain passes. As soon as we get you settled, I’ll walk over the hill and let Glover’s mama know what’s going on. After a while her brother, Willie, can drive into town and tell Glover.”
 
Lucille’s face was contorted in pain with each contraction, but she told herself she was fortunate that her mother was able to be there and to take care of her. She prayed everything would go as it was supposed to, and that too many hours wouldn’t pass before she had a little baby girl to hold. She had never once thought she might be having a boy, because she trusted the vision, or whatever it was, she had seen before she knew she was pregnant. Besides, all of her friends and acquaintances had said it looked like the way she was carrying it, it was likely a girl.
 
One friend had even had her lie down while she held Lucille’s ring on a string over her belly. The lady waited for the string to move on its own and it slowly started to circle. “Oh, it is definitely a girl,” her friend told her. “If it had been a boy, the ring would have swung back and forth instead of in a circle.
 
By midafternoon, the pains were still not regular. They were around 10 minutes apart, but her water had broken. Glover had been notified and he came home both worried and excited. Shortly after he came, Dr. Simmons came out and checked her.
 
“It looks good,” he told her. “The baby’s heart sounds strong, and you are healthy. You should do fine. You’ve just started to dilate. I’ve got another patient that will deliver before you. She has almost dilated, and this is her third child. I’ll be back about eight o'clock tonight with the nurse. If things should pick up and it looks like it may be sooner, have Glover come and get me.”
 
Lucille smiled weakly. “Okay, Dr. Simmons, I trust that you know what you’re doing. You know you took out my tonsils, back when I was thirteen.”
 
“Yeah, I remember you. I thought you looked familiar. I was just starting out as a doctor. You are the little girl who kept begging for chocolate ice cream.”
 
Lucille resigned herself to the fact this wasn’t going to happen any time soon. Annie brought her some chipped ice to put in her mouth and an icepack for her head. The house was starting to fill up. A few neighbors came by to see how things were going. Alma, Glover’s mom and Eva, her sister, came with the intention of staying, but when they realized it wouldn’t happen right away they when back home to get supper for Ebb, Glover’s dad. They would return later.
 
Just before sundown, the sky darkened and the wind speed intensified. In the distance, there were flashes of lightning and low rumbles of thunder. Ebb looked at the sky and remarked to his wife, “It looks like a storm’s brewing back in the southwest. We are likely to be getting it, sometime tonight.
 
About 8:30, Dr. Simmons was back with his nurse. This time the examination showed Lucille was over half way dilated. The pains were between five and three minutes apart, and Lucille lay groaning in misery. She was starting to wonder if she could survive much more.
 
Annie Jane made a pot of coffee for the doctor and nurse. The doctor had delivered another baby earlier. He was ready for coffee and planned to stay until the baby came. Glover’s mother and dad were there as well as Eva, his mother’s sister. Eva had never married, and she and her bachelor brother, Willie, lived with Glover’s parents. Eva was nervous about the weather. She was deathly afraid of storms and preferred being near their storm pit when the weather looked threatening.
 
The doctor continued to check Lucille’s progress every 15 to 20 minutes. About eleven p.m., she was crying out in agony. He and his nurse were with her, telling her to hold on and to try not to push yet. Outside streaks of lightning were flashing across the sky and loud claps of thunder shook the house. Eva was crying and saying, “I think it’s a tornado, I’m afraid we’ll all be blown away. What a terrible night to have a baby.”
 
At eleven thirty-five, those waiting in the living area heard Lucille cry out above the roar of the storm, and shortly afterward there was the unmistakable wail of a newborn. While the nurse cleaned the baby and gave her to her mother, Dr. Simmons came in to congratulate Glover.
 
“You’re the father of a little 10 lb. girl. I think she and the storm arrived at the same minute. For a little while, it was touch and go. I wasn’t sure she didn’t bring the storm with her. Mom and baby are both doing fine. I’ll finish up in there, and then, you can go see her. Tell her I’ll come check on her next week”.

As the storm started to abate, Eva relaxed. “The baby should have waited a few more minutes. Then she would have been born on my birthday.”

"It's after midnight so “Happy Birthday, Eva" Alma said. "I’d forgotten all about it, but pick out a pattern, and I'll make you a new dress.. The baby needs her own birthday. She won’t want to share it with an old lady. It’s been an interesting Friday night. As soon as we get a quick peek at the baby, let's see if we can get Glover to drive us home. It’s too wet to walk, and I’m dying to get a little sleep, before I have to get up and milk the cows. I can't believe I finally have a grandchild. It has been a good day after all.
 
Glover Weir - My father 
Lucille Lay Weir - My mother
Anne Jane Davis Lay -My maternal grandmother, recently widowed.
Ebb Weir - Glover's father -My maternal grandfather
Alma Simmons Weir - Glover's mother and my paternal grandmother and wife of Ebb.
Dr. Omar Simmons  Newton doctor  The doctor is not related although he has the same last name.
New Infant - Me   



Recognized


The time is Fall of 1937 in Newton, MIssissippi. This chapter is about my birth and family. In will be chapter 7 of At Home in Mississippi.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.